The government deeply values, aids, and protects its citizens abroad whenever they face hardships, under any circumstances. Furthermore, through Myanmar embassies and consulates-general overseas, the relevant authorities consistently prioritize coordinating with the host governments to provide necessary rescue and repatriation assistance to Myanmar citizens experiencing difficulties abroad for various reasons.
Under the
guidance of the Head of State, officials from the Tatmadaw and relevant
ministries coordinated to repatriate 1,476 Myanmar citizens who had completed
sentences for unlawful residency and other immigration offenses in Malaysia,
were detained in immigration depots, and faced difficulties returning home. The
Myanmar Navy vessels UMS Mottama, sea-going hospital ship UMS Thanlwin, and UMS
Sinphyushin departed Yangon on 24 September to retrieve them. The naval vessels
arrived at Lumut Port in Malaysia on the morning of 28 September.
After systematically receiving the detained Myanmar citizens from Malaysian authorities, the ships departed on the evening of 29 September. They docked at No 3 Jetty (Thilawa) in Yangon at around 7:35 am yesterday, completing a smooth and successful repatriation to the motherland.
During the
voyage, vessel personnel warmly welcomed the citizens, provided orderly
accommodation, delivered necessary healthcare, and prepared daily meals. The
servicemen on board and ministry officials also organized recreational
activities —including games, movie screenings, and group physical fitness
exercises — while supplying clothing and essential personal care items.
Moreover, on
the morning of 1 October, as the vessels crossed into Myanmar territorial
waters, the returning citizens—who had been away from their homeland for an
extended period—applauded and celebrated with joy upon receiving a warm welcome
message from the Head of State, greeting them as siblings and family. They
expressed heartfelt gratitude for the Head of State’s goodwill and compassion
in arranging their return, as well as for the dedicated assistance rendered by
all involved officials.
When naval
vessels arrived at No 3 Thilawa Jetty in Yangon, officials from relevant
ministries, members of the Regional Government, and family members extended a
warm and joyous welcome. The returnees were treated to lunch—including chicken
rice, snacks, and refreshments—and boarded arranged vehicles heading to
pre-designated gathering centres for temporary rest. Relevant authorities
conducted verification and screening before systematically transferring them to
representatives of Region/State governments, while officials from the Ministry
of Immigration and Population issued Unique Identification (UID) cards by
region and state. Necessary arrangements are continuing to facilitate their
swift reunion with relatives and family members, ensuring their safe return to
their respective hometowns.
The
government maintains a strong focus on rescuing and repatriating citizens
experiencing hardships abroad. In 2026, from January to September, 1,905
stranded Myanmar citizens were repatriated from Cambodia via military and
chartered flights; on 23 July 2026, 26 Myanmar fishermen detained in Port Blair
for illegally entering Indian waters were brought back aboard Myanmar Airways
International (MAI); and on 23 February 2021, 1,086 citizens stranded in
Malaysia after serving sentences for immigration violations were returned
aboard Tatmadaw naval vessels. Additionally, 8,041 citizens were repatriated by
air between January and the end of August 2026. The current mission
successfully brought home the remaining 1,476 citizens from Malaysia aboard
Myanmar Navy vessels on humanitarian grounds following bilateral governmental
coordination.
Driven by the
parental benevolence of the Head of State, the steadfast efforts of the
Tatmadaw, and the goodwill and cooperation of departmental agencies, the
journey home has been accomplished for overseas Myanmar citizens who had
endured hardship far from their motherland. As they prepare to reunite with
their families, returnees expressed profound relief and joy, shed tears of
emotion, and shared their happiness.
Currently,
the government is actively driving socioeconomic development initiatives to
foster comprehensive national progress and ensure that all citizens can live
and work safely. It is emphasized that by recognizing the government’s sincere
goodwill and engaging diligently in agriculture, livestock breeding, and micro,
small, and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) domestically, citizens can enhance
national productivity while securing dignified and safe livelihoods.
Consequently,
Myanmar citizens intending to work abroad are urged not to fall prey to the
allurements and persuasion of human trafficking brokers, to refrain from
leaving the country illegally through border areas, and to exercise caution
against peer pressure to prevent falling victim to human trafficking. Citizens
abroad who encounter difficulties are advised to contact Myanmar embassies and
consulates-general; arrangements will be coordinated with the respective host
governments to ensure their safe and peaceful return to the motherland.
The following
are the joyous expressions and sentiments shared by the returnees from Malaysia
and the mission officials upon their smooth return to Myanmar:
Interview 1
A call came
from the Malaysian embassy saying my husband was on board the ship. On 9
January, that was the first time I heard his voice again. After that, he told a
young navy officer, and that officer contacted me to say, “We are bringing him
home.” Coming to welcome him back, I don’t even know how to describe what I
felt. But I really kept looking over and over at the number from the phone
where I heard his voice. I also want to tell him words of encouragement. He
took the risk to go work over there because of our little daughter’s health.
Now that he is returning, he knows nothing about how our daughter was
hospitalized while he was away. I struggled all alone with our two children. In
my heart, I just want to give my husband words of comfort and strength. I am
always praying and wishing well for the people who rescued them like this. To
tell the truth, since we had been out of touch for so long and had no contacts,
I even thought I might never see him again. Whenever the kids went to bed, they
would ask, “When is Daddy coming home?” That was the hardest question for me to
answer. Now, I can finally answer it. Since he is back, mother and children,
father and children are reunited. That is why I am grateful to all the
responsible authorities and leaders who brought them home. I thank everyone
—regardless of rank, high or low—who helped bring them back so our families
could reunite happily like this. The fact that I am crying right now—these are
tears of joy. Just as I am overjoyed to see my husband again, may other
families experience this joy too. I sincerely thank everyone, wish them well,
and hope all the families are as happy as we are.
Interview 2
During the
time I spent in prison, no one ever came to check on me. Not a single person
turned their head to look. My siblings didn’t, and not one of my friends came
either. When it came to food, it was just plain boiled meals. Everything was
watery; there was not a single drop of oil. I was held in there for seven whole
months, and nobody came to see me. When no one showed up, I was going through
immense pain, thinking, “I guess we’ll never get to go home. Will we have to
stay here forever? Will our lives end right here?” Right at that moment, when
they called out my name, my tears just poured down. It had been so long since I
tasted Myanmar food—almost an entire year. Comparing being inside prison to
being here, eating Myanmar meals again made me feel overwhelmed with joy. When
I got off the vehicle and saw those big ships coming over, I realized, “This
isn’t a dream; it’s real.” In that moment, I felt like the happiest person in
the whole world.
Interview 3
I am
overjoyed, beyond words in my heart. We have longed to return to Myanmar for
such a long time. When we first arrived here, we came to earn money to make a
living. But we ran into hardships, and as our living situation became
suffocating and desperate, we missed our beloved golden land of Myanmar so much
and desperately wanted to go back. Just seeing the Myanmar national flag, I
couldn’t even put into words how happy I felt — it brought such deep warmth and
peace to my heart. I pray from the bottom of my heart that the Head of State
and all the people of Myanmar who came to welcome and bring us back are blessed
with health of mind and peace of body.
100/ ST
#TheGlobalNewLightOfMyanmar




No comments:
Post a Comment