January 10, 2018
Some villagers and security forces were involved in
the killing of 10 armed attackers whose bodies were found in a mass grave last
month in a cemetery in Inndin Village in Maungtaw Township, Rakhine State, the
True News Information Team of the Ministry of Defence acknowledged yesterday.
“Action will be taken against some security forces
who broke the Rules of Engagement and some villagers who were involved in the
killings,” said the announcement from the ministry posted on its Facebook page
yesterday.
An investigation team led by Lt-Gen Aye Win of the
Ministry of Defence probed the killing from 20th December to 2nd January,
interrogating 21 security force members, three border guard police, 13 members
of the No. 8 security regiment, six villagers and six departmental officials.
Since the 9th October terrorist attacks, Muslim
villagers, whose population is about 6,000 in the village-tract, had been
threatening ethnic minorities, of which there are about 840 in three villages.
The Muslim armed men allegedly killed Maung Ni, a
villager from Inndin Village, who had been on his way to a rice field on 25th
August, 2017, and threatened nearby ethnic villagers with attacks every day,
said the statement.
The ethnic villagers moved to a monastery and
security forces arrived to provide security.
The announcement said on 1st September, about 200
armed attackers tried to attack security forces. In response, the security
forces fired warning shots into the air to disperse the attackers and arrested
10 armed men.
During a subsequent interrogation, the 10 men
confessed that they had ties to the terrorists and that they were organised by
Muslim religious leaders also known as Mawlawi at mosques in Muslim villages.
The detainees should be handed over to police.
However, two vehicles from Inndin Village Police Station were set on fire by
terrorists and terrorists attacks were happening at that time in the local
areas, the statement said.
“Some villagers from Inndin village and security
members confessed they killed 10 Muslim terrorists and action would be taken
against the villagers and security members who violated the Rules of
Engagement. Besides, action would be taken against those officers who failed to
report the incident to the upper commands though they did not involve in it but
those who involved in the incident are under their command,” said the
statement.
Myanmar News Agency
Ref; The Global New Light of Myanmar
No comments:
Post a Comment